Basil Pesto for the Tastiest Pasta Ever
This is seriously easy and seriously yummy, My teen was a bit concerned when he saw the bunches of basil (because anything green is scary to my children) but was surprisingly happy when it reached his gob.
Ingredients (only 5, woohoo)
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 & 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 small garlic cloves (cut in half)
3/4 cup shredded parmesan
5 Tbsp Olive Oil
Toast the pine nuts, you can bake in the oven but I just toast quickly in a fry pan (don’t leave them, they burn easily).
Put all ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor and process until well chopped.
While processor is running gradually stream in the olive oil until well combined.
Thats it, awesome pesto, way better than anything bottled from the store.
Now to use that beautiful handmade pesto, read on for a few ideas.
- My fave is just to mix through pasta as the main pic shows, that’s all you need, pasta and pesto – what a lunch!
- Add to a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Stir a few tablespoons through a good old mashed potato or your cous cous.
- For a different feel to your pizza use instead of your base tomato sauce (it is a stronger flavour so use more sparingly than your usual sauce)
- For a quick dip, mix it with sour cream, cottage cheese or greek yoghurt.
- Thinned with more oil or vinegar and you have a yummy salad dressing.
- Add a slather to toasted bread and top with sliced tomato.
- Jazz up your pasta by turning it into a bake, add a torn up roast chicken, any veg you like, sprinkle some cheddar or more parmesan over the top and bake in the oven. (as below)